Saturday, January 1, 2011

It's a New Year...So What?

I rang in the New Year last night by blowing cardboard horns outside when it was 0 degrees, screaming at the top of my lungs, making mini s'mores over a votive candle, tossing marshmallows into my dad's mouth (mostly unsuccessfully) and having an impromptu dance party. It was a pretty fun night, but I decided to hit the sack at 2 am, since I'd been up since 9 am on New Years Eve and I'd been pretty busy all day, going to a movie, dashing from store to store trying to find confetti poppers and grabbing a Starbucks. I even found time to slip on the floor at SuperTarget and land flat on my butt. Ouch!
For me, New Years Eve is way more exciting than New Years Day. I always feel a little sad, leaving behind the old year and December. I can't really act like it's still the holiday season and January's not too exciting. Now I have to think about going back to school in 2 1/2 weeks and look forward to the obligatory dental/doctor appointments I have to squeeze in before back-to-school. I've always loved first semester better, because there are more breaks and holidays to enjoy. All there is second semester is spring break, Valentine's Day and Easter. Plus, by the time second semester rolls around, you just wanna get out of there for summer break.
So what's so great about a new year, anyway? 2010 wasn't half-bad for me, so I'm hoping 2011 is even better. But the thought of a whole year ahead of me is kinda overwhelming. What if a lot of bad stuff happens and makes it my worst year yet? What if everything changes by this time next year? What if I don't want to move on and be more mature? What if I just want to live in the moment? I don't often think about this stuff, but it definitely applies when the calendar changes.
Let's face it: I've had a really good winter break so far. I'm halfway into it and already dreading going back. I've really enjoyed playing board games with my family, hitting up Starbucks, shopping trips, Christmas lights and music, just getting back into the life I used to have before I started college. I still know Colorado Springs way better than Fort Collins (and it will probably always be that way) and I really like going to places I haven't been to since the summer.
I know spring semester won't be easy, but I'm hoping I'll be better-adjusted than I was fall semester and I can deal with any problems in a more mature way. I'm hoping 2011 is a great year, not necessarily better than 2010, but good in its own way. I hope I can make lots of memories and cherish every moment I spend with my family. Here's hoping you the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment